Michael Hanna is a certified financial planner, retirement income certified professional, and an accredited estate planner. He is also an investment adviser representative at Azura Wealth Advisers LLC, a company dedicated to helping clients navigate the real financial world. Michael graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts in Politics and Philosophy from New York University, where he also completed his Master of Business Administration degree at the Stern School of Business. He is the author of the book, Get Your Money Right, which shares a roadmap and infrastructure—drawn from his personal experience—that can help create real and permanent wealth in readers’ lives.
Michael joins us today to discuss why financial advisors should build financial infrastructures for themselves. He explains the importance of keeping the right investing mindset during an economic downturn and keeping the end in mind when creating financial goals. He shares his thoughts on financial advisors sharing their personal financial plans and goals with their clients. Michael also highlights the value of celebrating your progress toward your financial goals and outlines the first steps advisors can take to keep their financial house in order.
“It’s important for financial advisors to care for their finances because it puts them in a position to lead by example. It’s hard to show somebody what to do with their money when you have not done it yourself with your own money.” - Michael Hanna
This week on The Model FA Podcast:
● Michael’s background and how he realized the importance of having a strong financial infrastructure in business
● Why it’s important to continue making contributions to your 401k even during a market downturn
● What it means to begin with the end in mind when creating financial infrastructures
● Gamifying progress toward your financial goals
● Whether financial advisors seek other advisors when making financial plans
● How financial advisors can put themselves and their families in a better financial situation
● The first steps to take toward getting your financial house in order
● Book: Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain
Our Favorite Quotes:
● “Advisors should have an advisor. It’s always great to have a second pair of eyes, a sounding board, someone to support you or keep you on track if you’re slightly going off.” - Michael Hanna
● “Everyone’s a great investor when doing it in hindsight, but making changes based on emotions will bite you in the butt moving forward.” - David DeCelle
● “Clients can feel if you’re actually empathetic or if you’re blowing smoke to keep them contributing for your personal benefit.” - David DeCelle
Connect with Michael Hanna:
● Email: [email protected]
About the Model FA Podcast
The Model FA podcast is a show for fiduciary financial advisors. In each episode, our host David DeCelle sits down with industry experts, strategic thinkers, and advisors to explore what it takes to build a successful practice — and have an abundant life in the process. We believe in continuous learning, tactical advice, and strategies that work — no “gotchas” or BS. Join us to hear stories from successful financial advisors, get actionable ideas from experts, and re-discover your drive to build the practice of your dreams.
Did you like this conversation? Then leave us a rating and a review in whatever podcast player you use. We would love your feedback, and your ratings help us reach more advisors with ideas for growing their practices, attracting great clients, and achieving a better quality of life. While you are there, feel free to share your ideas about future podcast guests or topics you’d love to see covered.
President of Model FA, David DeCelle
If you like this podcast, you will love our community! Join the Model FA Community on Facebook to connect with like-minded advisors and share the day-to-day challenges and wins of running a growing financial services firm.