Greg Bishop is the Founder and Managing Partner of Poterus Consulting. After several years of working in the financial services industry, Greg created Poterus Consulting as a platform where financial advisors, producer groups, and financial firms could increase their productivity exponentially. Before founding Poterus, Greg served as the Director of Business Development at Compass Total Benefit Solutions. He had also previously worked as the Chief Marketing Officer of QuietStream Financial and the Director of Practice Management at Consolidated Planning Inc. Greg holds a Master’s in Public Policy from Muskie School of Public Service, and completed his Bachelor’s in Political Science at the University of Southern Maine.
Greg joins me today to discuss the roles of vision and mission in optimizing practice management. He recounts his journey toward founding his consulting firm and outlines the seven stages of his practice management optimization program. He also describes how business owners can develop powerful visions and mission statements and underscores how accountability helps manifest a company’s vision.
“Everything starts with a vision and its crystallization. You can’t talk about marketing programs or business financials if you don’t know what the vision is.” – Greg Bishop
This week on The Model FA Podcast:
● Greg’s background and his journey toward starting his consulting firm
● Why the cookie-cutter marketing strategies of large firms don’t always work
● The importance of picking a niche and communicating it
● Creating a client journey map
● Why practice management optimization needs to begin with a vision
● How to put together a vision statement for your business
● Why Greg doesn’t spend a lot of time developing five-year plans with his clients
● The power of visualization
● Being accountable to manifest your business vision into reality
● How being accountable can help with time management
● Using Greg’s “Time Shocker” technique to manage your time and be accountable
● How often entrepreneurs should view their business finances
● Why business plans and marketing plans should come hand-in-hand
● Book: Face Values: How to Read People and Adjust Your Presentation to Connect with Them in Less Than Three Minutes by Michael Lovas and Pamela Holloway
Our Favorite Quotes:
● “If you’re going to write a vision statement, don’t keep it to yourself. Sharing it with others gives them the opportunity to help you get there.” – David DeCelle
● “Accountability is something you either love or dread and is one of the most impactful areas of your business.” – David DeCelle
● “If the vision is the emerald city in the distance, the mission statement articulates what the paving stones are in that yellow brick road that get us there.” – Greg Bishop
Connect with Greg Bishop:
● Email: [email protected]
About the Model FA Podcast
The Model FA podcast is a show for fiduciary financial advisors. In each episode, our host David DeCelle sits down with industry experts, strategic thinkers, and advisors to explore what it takes to build a successful practice — and have an abundant life in the process. We believe in continuous learning, tactical advice, and strategies that work — no “gotchas” or BS. Join us to hear stories from successful financial advisors, get actionable ideas from experts, and re-discover your drive to build the practice of your dreams.
Did you like this conversation? Then leave us a rating and a review in whatever podcast player you use. We would love your feedback, and your ratings help us reach more advisors with ideas for growing their practices, attracting great clients, and achieving a better quality of life. While you are there, feel free to share your ideas about future podcast guests or topics you’d love to see covered.
President of Model FA, David DeCelle
If you like this podcast, you will love our community! Join the Model FA Community on Facebook to connect with like-minded advisors and share the day-to-day challenges and wins of running a growing financial services firm.