Mike Sorrentino is the Chief Investment Officer of Darwin Asset Management, a wealth and asset management firm. As CIO of Darwin, Mike oversees the development and implementation of investment strategies while providing regular thought leadership to financial advisors and investors. He has been a guest on CNBC, Fox Business News, and Bloomberg, while major publications and newspapers have referenced him extensively. Before working with Darwin, Mike served on the sell-side at Sanford Berstein and Barclays and worked as the CIO of a firm that oversaw $6 billion in assets. Mike received his Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Chicago and holds the Chartered Financial Analyst designation as well as a Series 65 license.
Mike joins us today to discuss how asset managers like Darwin Asset Management can help financial advisors grow their businesses. He recounts his journey into financial services and explains why he pivoted into the industry after studying engineering. He also highlights the factors that separate elite financial advisors from average ones and shares his market forecast in the current economic climate.
“Asset management is grossly commoditized in many ways. When you add a service component to it, it becomes a true offering.” - Mike Sorrentino
This week on The Model FA Podcast:
● Why Mike pivoted to the financial industry after studying engineering
● Mike’s journey from the sales desk to the C-Suite
● What Mike’s responsibilities and workweek look like as CIO
● The “see one, do one, and teach one” approach to learning
● Why financial advisors need to practice their language
● How Darwin Asset Management works with RIAs
● What turnkey allocation is and what separates Darwin Asset Management from other asset management firms
● How Darwin Asset Management can help financial advisors in acquiring new clients
● The difference between high-performing advisors and average ones
● Mike’s market and economic forecast and thoughts on the current inflation
● Communicating market status to your clients in times of volatility
● Book: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
Our Favorite Quotes:
● “Sometimes, most of the pain you feel in your business can be addressed by focusing on a process and picking apart your language.” - David DeCelle
● “When a financial advisor wants to offload their asset management, it may be because they want to spend more time building relationships and increasing revenue—other times, it’s because they don’t know the market as much.” - David DeCelle
● “Human behavior drives markets. If you want to be a really good investor, spend more time studying human behavior than doing spreadsheets.” - Mike Sorrentino
Connect with Mike Sorrentino:
● Email: [email protected]
About the Model FA Podcast
The Model FA podcast is a show for fiduciary financial advisors. In each episode, our host David DeCelle sits down with industry experts, strategic thinkers, and advisors to explore what it takes to build a successful practice — and have an abundant life in the process. We believe in continuous learning, tactical advice, and strategies that work — no “gotchas” or BS. Join us to hear stories from successful financial advisors, get actionable ideas from experts, and re-discover your drive to build the practice of your dreams.
Did you like this conversation? Then leave us a rating and a review in whatever podcast player you use. We would love your feedback, and your ratings help us reach more advisors with ideas for growing their practices, attracting great clients, and achieving a better quality of life. While you are there, feel free to share your ideas about future podcast guests or topics you’d love to see covered.
President of Model FA, David DeCelle
If you like this podcast, you will love our community! Join the Model FA Community on Facebook to connect with like-minded advisors and share the day-to-day challenges and wins of running a growing financial services firm.