Justin Goodbread is an author, entrepreneur, and certified financial planner. He founded his company, Heritage Investors, in 2009 to help individuals, business owners, and retirees attain their financial goals. In 2019, Justin founded Heritage Business Advisors to help business owners realize their full potential. He later joined the WealthSource family after the company and its affiliates acquired Heritage Investors and Heritage Business Advisors in 2022. He is also the author of Your Baby’s Ugly, as well as the Amazon best-selling book, The Ultimate Sale.
Justin joins us today to discuss how to build a best-in-class company for the ultimate business sale. He shares the first time he became self-employed and his journey to founding Heritage Investors and Heritage Business Advisors. He explains what led him to partner with WealthSource and describes how joining a larger company has benefitted the Heritage brand. Justin also details his approach to writing books and underscores why entrepreneurs should start a business with the end goal in mind.
“We should build a business for the ultimate customer—the customer we’re going to transition or sell our business to in the future.” – Justin Goodbread
This week on The Model FA Podcast:
● Justin’s journey to the financial planning industry
● The principles of landscaping and how they continue to guide Justin in business and entrepreneurship
● The power of scale and collaborating with a team
● The growth of the Heritage brand and its acquisition by WealthSource
● What led Justin to sell the Heritage companies and partner with WealthSource
● How joining a larger company has impacted the Heritage business
● Justin’s current role and responsibilities at WealthSource and his vision for the future
● What inspired Justin to write a book and other financial content
● How creating a podcast helped Justin write a bestselling book
● The weaknesses of the RIA industry and the benefits of building your brand
● Book: Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
● Book: Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not! By Robert Kiyosaki
● Book: The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey
● Book: The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America’s Wealthy by Thomas Stanley
Our Favorite Quotes:
● “Regardless of where you’re running your business, there are principles you need to abide by to be successful.” – David DeCelle
● “Being able to put out valuable content and being omnipresent allow you to appeal to peoples’ various learning styles.” – David DeCelle
● “In everything we want to do in life, we have to start with the end in mind. We have to know exactly where we want to be.” – Justin Goodbread
Connect with Justin Goodbread:
● Book: The Ultimate Sale: A Financially Simple Guide to Selling a Business for Maximum Profit
● Book: Your Baby’s Ugly: Maximize the Value of Your Business or You’ll Have Nothing to Sell
● Financially Simple on YouTube
● Justin Goodbread on LinkedIn
● Justin Goodbread on Instagram
● Justin Goodbread on Facebook
● Email: [email protected]
About the Model FA Podcast
The Model FA podcast is a show for fiduciary financial advisors. In each episode, our host David DeCelle sits down with industry experts, strategic thinkers, and advisors to explore what it takes to build a successful practice — and have an abundant life in the process. We believe in continuous learning, tactical advice, and strategies that work — no “gotchas” or BS. Join us to hear stories from successful financial advisors, get actionable ideas from experts, and re-discover your drive to build the practice of your dreams.
Did you like this conversation? Then leave us a rating and a review in whatever podcast player you use. We would love your feedback, and your ratings help us reach more advisors with ideas for growing their practices, attracting great clients, and achieving a better quality of life. While you are there, feel free to share your ideas about future podcast guests or topics you’d love to see covered.
President of Model FA, David DeCelle
If you like this podcast, you will love our community! Join the Model FA Community on Facebook to connect with like-minded advisors and share the day-to-day challenges and wins of running a growing financial services firm.